Labels

12/30/18

Christmas wrap up

You know when you are at the supermarket and you just need a couple of things? And you forget to take a basket or a shopping cart? So you end up holding everything in your arms until you can't even walk normally without dropping something.

Fun fact (for you not for me):
Try to finally get to the checkout with all of the stuff you want to buy, the cashier scans everything through, you pay. Until here everything good. Then the dear cashier tells you they're out of bags, and you haven't brought any with you. She still looks at you like "Are you going to move or what?".
I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

That's exactly how I felt the first month I was here in Amsterdam, so many things all together, overwhelming. I needed to think about a hundred things at once, settling in my new room (in the prison, yes  a prison), figuring out courses and university stuff, making new friends, every day was basically a new adventure. 

It hasn't been easy at all, but I do love adventure and every challenge I've overcome so far made me feel so satisfied.
I was also looking for a side job because even if the school tuition is very cheap, life in the Netherlands is expensive compared to Italy. 2/3 € for a bottle of water... and it doesn't even tastes good...UNBELIEVABLE. 2.50€ for an espresso... well I think I'll make my own at home thanks.
Anyway, I sent my CV to every possible Facebook post about part time jobs (yes there's a section on fb where you can actually search for any job position and if the country you're in is social enough, you'll find something for sure). I even got an interview in an Italian restaurant, but then I found out they were looking for a butcher... mmm not really my skills.
It was difficult because I don't have any experience at all, I never worked before because for us in Italy is not a thing for teenagers to get a side job while studying. Most of the places where I tried to apply for a job replied "Sorry but we need someone with experience." And I get it, but I do have to start somewhere to build experience, don't I?
In the end I contacted a small little Café where they where looking for a barista/waitress, I went and met the boss who told me was willing to teach me everything and after a trial week I got the place! I work two or three days a week in the afternoon or evening and what makes it fun are the people you work with :) The place is small and cozy and I managed not to spill anything so far, that's probably why for now they like me too.

It's almost Christmas and I'm finally flying back home. What makes me happy is that even if I'll be gone for 20 days or so I know I'm going to miss Amsterdam and the friends I made there a bit, and I think this is awesome because if I miss it it means that I was able to handle thing great and built something over there. If you miss someone or a place it's because you care. 

Maybe you'll think I'm crazy (all the best ones are by the way), but one of the reasons why I left Italy was that I missed the feeling of being far from home and missing it. I know it's weird but I like the feeling you get when you're traveling or abroad and you know that home is always going to be where you left it, and it's waiting for you to come back, no matter what.

Quote of the post:
"What is meant for you won't pass you by"

No comments:

Post a Comment